Untitled photo
Untitled photo


We do not sell propane.

We do however sell propane tanks with installation!

Propane tanks are sold by a local distributor to contractors, and there are several sizes available. Choosing the size of a propane tank will depend on several factors such as the location of the tank on the property, underground or above ground tank installation, and the number and type of gas appliances to be installed.

A site visit is required to provide an estimate and discuss size options but below is more information on the tanks we sell and install.

DOT 200lbs. and 420lbs.

Untitled photo

These tanks are mainly manufactured to the specifications the Department of Transportation sets. The DOT requires tanks to be stamped or engraved with the capacity of the container/tank in pounds.

Propane weighs 4.2 lbs. per gallon, so a 200# container is approximately 50 gallons, and a 420# container is equivalent to approximately 100 gallons.

Now the tanks are only filled to 80% of the stamped capacity with liquid propane and the remaining 20% is filled by the vapor of the propane liquid. Think of it as boiling a pot of water. The liquid propane is boiling into a vapor like water to steam transitioning phases. And as the propane is used by the appliances the liquid continues to phase into a vapor. The vapor of the propane gas is what is used to fuel gas appliances, not the liquid.

There are some vertical tanks, colored white, that are ASME rated, and have a capacity of 120 gallons. These tanks are not suitable for underground burial and are vertical and of the approximate size as a 420lb./100gal. tank.

ASME & Underground Containers

Untitled photo

The American Society of Mechanical Engineers sets the specification which these types of tanks must meet. They are also rated by gallon capacity verses the DOT with pound capacities. 

These ASME tanks are rated for both above ground and underground installation, and they range in size from 120gal. to 1000gal. capacities. Depending on the number and type of appliances and location on the property will determine the size of tank needed.

For example, a 20kw generator or a 400,000 btu pool heater both would consume approximately 4 gallons per hour. For a generator a 500 gallon tank is recommended for approximately 6 days of emergency fuel. Or a 1000 gallon tank can be installed for larger fuel capacity and generator run time.

Another example of when a large tank is needed is when the whole house is utilizing gas, such as for a cooking range, bbq grill, pool heater, fireplace, tankless water heaters, etc. all on the property, then a large tank should be installed.

120 gallon or 250 gallon tanks are typically installed for small spa heaters or cooking ranges or outdoor kitchens or clothes dryers or tankless heater or a combination, usually a 1 - 3 appliances. 

More info:

- Miami Dade requires the construction of an underground concrete pad to resist floation/bouyancy of the underground container because most of the county is considered a flood zone.

- It is recommended, if not required, to install a concrete pad for coastal or waterfront properties where the water table is shallow and require a water pump to pump out the water while digging and setting a concrete structure below the water table.

- Broward and Palm Beach Counties do not require concrete structures for underground containers but containers must be anchored with auger type anchors and wire rope that is insulated.

- Underground tanks require the installation of a sacrificial anode bag which must be installed correctly and periodically maintained.

- ASME tanks have a welded data plate with the serial number and shell dimensions and capacity of the container and year manufactured.

- ASME containers usually come with a coating for protection against corrosion in the soil; if the tank is to be installed above ground then it must be painted white for sunlight reflection.

Powered by SmugMug Owner Log In